Wednesday, May 12, 2010

My Big Fat Brazilian Wedding

This past weekend, I travelled south about 600 km to Londrina, in the state of Paraná, to attend my cousin's wedding.  Actually, Ana Carolina is not actually my cousin but my cousins' cousin, but in small-town Brazil, everybody's family.

It was great to see all the cousins I knew already, and meet a few new ones I'd never met.  It was an interesting experience, because my cousins, who had always seemed much older than me on previous visits, because I was still a kid, now barely seem older at all. We all got along really well.  I even found a travel partner to go to the Amazon with me later this summer;  my cousin's girlfriend, Mariana.  

Weddings in Brazil are lots of fun.  The ceremony is pretty similar to the Canadian weddings we're all familiar with, but after the ceremony and late dinner reception, Brazilian weddings turn into a giant party that lasts all night.  Young and old alike dance the night away. In order to encourage the guests to really go wild, the servers hand out party favours such as masks, fancy hats, feather boas, tiaras, maracas and colourful flip-flops.


Sorry guys, you don't get an actual photo of the actual wedding just yet. Instead, here's a picture of me in my room here in Alphaville, showing off all the swag I collected at the wedding.  See, I forgot to put batteries in my camera before heading out, so I'm going to have to wait until my uncle and cousins send me their pics, or the professional pics get published.

2 comments:

  1. hi lee- sounds like you are having a fantastic time. looking forward to hearing more about your brazilian adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! You've just made it more like a Canadian wedding, your parents' where the camera had no film.

    ReplyDelete